Flax seeds contain high levels of Omega 3 essential fatty acids, Omega 6 fatty acids and a substantial level of Lignans (phytonutrients). These essential fatty acids help in bolstering cellular metabolic and cellular respiratory activities, and lignans help in detoxifying the cells. One tablespoon of flax seeds, i.e., 15 grams, have a nutritional value equivalent to 45 kilograms of peanuts, or 6 kilograms of cashew nuts, or 1 kilogram of salmon fish. Adding 1 tablespoon of cold pressed flaxseed oil to the flax drink, doubles its nutritional value. It also makes people less hungry.
- Drink the flax drink within 15 minutes of preparation.
- Do not consume the flax drink if you are allergic to it.
- Generally, any form of seeds will produce heat in the body as they contain oils. To help counteract this, add cooling foods to your diet like green gram, tender coconut water, buttermilk, watermelon, citrus fruits, vegetable salads and fruits.
- DO NOT roast or heat flax seeds before consumption.
- DO NOT powder the flax powder and store it, flax seeds must be powdered just before consumption.
- Pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers must not supplement their diet with flax seeds, they must consume the flax drink under the consultation of a nutritionist.
- Only freshly made flax drink must be consumed, it should not be prepared and stored for later consumption.
Ingredients required to prepare one portion of Flax Drink
- Flax Seeds - 1 tablespoon (15 grams)
- Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil (optional) - 1 tablespoon (15 grams)
- Curds – 50 grams / ½ cup
- Water – ½ cup or to help in adjusting the consistency
- In a small mixer grinder or a coffee grinder, grind the flax seeds to a fine powder.
- In a medium jar of a mixer grinder, add all the ingredients and give it a churn –
- Flax Seed Powder
- Cold Pressed Flaxseed Oil
- Add water, Churn again. The drink must not be too thick or too thin.
- NOTE -do not add water in the first churn, else the oil will not mix with the curds.