Discover the Time Tested Benefits of Ashwagandha in Traditional Ayurvedic Medicine
Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera), also known as Indian ginseng, and as Indian Winter Cherry is an important ancient plant, the roots of which have been employed in Indian traditional systems of medicine, Ayurveda and Unani
- Botanical Name: Withania Somnifera
- Family Name: Solanaceae
- Common Name: Withania, Winter Cherry, Indian Winter Cherry, Indian Ginseng, Ashwagandha
- Part Used: Roots, Leaves
- Habitat: Cultivated throughout drier parts of India.
- Product offered: Roots
- A paste of Ashwagandha leaves when applied on a local inflammation acts as anti-inflammatory.
- The herbal massage oil which includes Ashwagandha herb is useful in many conditions like paralysis, epilepsy, sleeplessness etc.
- Ashwagandha powder benefits for male - The preparation of Ashwagandha which is processed with ghee, sugar and honey is a very good aphrodisiac and increases semen quantity, sperm count and mobility. It is effectively used in erectile dysfunction, low libido and premature ejaculation.
- Ashwagandha churna use regularly helps to improve the conditions like senile debility, rheumatism, in all cases of general debility, nervous exhaustion, brain-fag, low of memory, loss of muscular energy and spermatorrhoea.
Excessive doses of Ashwagandha have been reported to cause abortions, so pregnant women should avoid this herb. Do not take this herb with other sedatives or anti-anxiety drugs. Large doses can cause diarrhoea, stomach upset and vomiting.
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Provide energy
- General tonic
Aswagandha Effects on the Brain Cells:
- GABA-mimetic activity has an anxiolytic effect.
- Inhibiting Cholinesterase and thereby retaining Acetylcholine for a longer time.
- Slowing down of tolerance of the analgesic effects of morphine.
- Induction of axon and dendrite outgrowth, thereby resulting in neuritis regeneration and synaptic reconstruction.
Ashwagandha Immunostimulatory Effect:
- Ashwagandha boosts immunity through Macrophages.
- Raised antibody titer against Bordetella pertussis strains (Combats Diphtheria).
- Protective effect in Cyclophosphamide induced myelosuppression.
- Beneficial in Ageing and Copper induced lipid peroxidation.
- Ashwagandha helping in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
Ashwagandha as an Adaptogenic and Anti-stress Agent
- Respected as Ginseng in Chronic stress models.
- Protective effect in stress induced neuronal degeneration.
- Helping to achieve a better state to fight against stress.
- Prevents stress related ulcers.
Ashwagandha Rejuvenative and Reproductive Action:
- Increases libido and sexual function.
- Ashwagandha for female fertility - Supports female reproductive system, and increases ovarian weight and folliculogenesis.
Ashwagandha in Cancer Patients:
- Acts as anti-carcinogenic.
- Growth inhibitor of human tumor cell lines.
- Ashwagandha possesses anti-proliferative agents.
- Respected as a natural source of potent radiosensitizer in chemotherapy.
- Recommended in Ascitic Sarcoma.
- Useful in Melanoma induced metastasis.
- Supports DMBA induced Squamous cell carcinoma.
- Enhances cellular immune response to mitogens.
Ashwagandha for Parkinson's and Alzheimer’s Disease:
- An L-dopa in an herbal formulation found in Ashwagandha.
- Enhances memory through cholinergic channels.
- Stabilizes mood, improves learning ability.
Ashwagandha and Anxiety
- Ashwagandha is comparable to Bacopa Monnieri in anxiety and depression.
- Anxiolytic effect comparable to Lorazepam.
- Antidepressant effect comparable to Imipramine.
- Found nontoxic in doses up to 100 mg per kg of body weight.
Ashwagandha as a Cardiovascular Protector:
- Able to protect Cardiovascular system against ischemic and reperfusion injury.
- Beneficial in Focal ischemia.
- Supports anti-atherogenic activity in polyherbal formula.
Withania somnifera, best known as Ashwagandha, has been used for centuries for the treatment of vivid health disorders. Multiple health benefits featured in this herbal supplement makes it a perfect rejuvenator of physical and psychological health.